The following recipe is based on the one by world-renowned chef Mario Batali cited in the references section below.
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 225 grams (8 ounces) Spanish onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or one half teaspoon dried)
- 4 teaspoons fresh basil leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 85 grams (3 ounces) red bell pepper, diced
- 1.3 kilograms (1 pound and 14 ounces) skinless plum tomato, crushed by hand
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a sauce pan until it shimmers.
- Saute onions and garlic over medium heat for about 2 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add the thyme, basil and bell pepper.
- Cook five minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to a light simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve hot by ladling over pasta, seafood or rice.